This document sets out the nine core harm reduction interventions for prevention, treatment, care and support for people who inject drugs.
- Needle and syringe programmes
- Opioid substitution therapy and other drug dependence treatment
- HIV testing and counselling
- Antiretroviral therapy
- Prevention and treatment of sexually transmitted infections
- Condom programmes for people who inject drugs and their sexual partners
- Targeted information, education and communication
- Prevention, vaccination, diagnosis and treatment for viral hepatitis
- Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis
- Harm reduction
This is the ‘Technical guide’ referred to in CND Resolution 56/6 and others. It is an update of the original Guide adopted in 2009.